Saturday, January 6, 2018

Day 2 of reading.

Day 2 of reading.

I do a little research on the books I read. Actually just a little trivia about the book and the author. I find that Water for elephants was written during a NaNoWriMo. (National novel writing month) . That is exciting. NaNoWriMo produces a published, successful,likable and a saleable book. I also find that all Sara Gruen’s stories have animals and she is an animal activist , too. That is the example of how you can convert your love and passion into a vocation and I find it inspiring.

To come back to the story, our narrator Jacob, suddenly orphaned and clueless about his life, jumps onto a train which is actually a circus train. I love the idea of a person being able to do whatever he wishes to, start an adventure and abandon his entire prior life . I agree , that he doesn't do it by choice, but it is an adventure nevertheless.  On that note , I slept yesterday, thinking of circus thoughts. My eyes were tired, but brain was not.

The book was engrossing enough for me to finish today, without going to the ‘ Name of the wind’. I loved it while I was reading , but 30 minutes later, I find the ending a little too neat and contrived for my liking. Also, I don't like Marlena’s character very much, there is hardly any depth to her. The best character is that of Rosie, the elephant : intelligent, sassy, gin loving , polish speaking (understanding). Jacob is also good as a character . I will not presume that I can advise the author to improve on her creation but everybody need not be forced to live happily ever after . I cared more about the animals than the lovers and felt that Jacob’s bonding with the animals could have been depicted better.

So, that is that.

Tomorrow is a new day , a Sunday , a reading day… will keep posted about what I read ...

No comments:

Post a Comment