Monday, April 11, 2016

I – Idea of Item numbers !

I initially thought of writing ‘ I for ideas’ …I wrote the post, too. But after re-reading that one , I thought it was too tame. Who wants to know about from where I get my post ideas ? ….I am no JKR….I knew then….I wanted something sizzling , shimmering and spicy !

Then then this idea came….The Idea of Item numbers… 

Item numbers…. an integral part of our bollywood movies…

I don’t know who coined this term “ Item number”…but hats off to that individual ! And salute to that person too , who actually started incorporating the item numbers in our films !

What is actually an item number ? It is a song and dance sequence in a bollywood movie , which has no connection with the plot. They are incorporated simply to increase the commercial value of the movie . ( And they often feature a top actress wearing skimpy ( so called designer!) clothes ,making energetic , sometimes provocative dance moves! – In a very few cases , you may have a male actor ,making similar kind of dance moves – but fully clothed ! ….) . These songs are in fact big hits and are the USP of the film.

Is this a new invention? Well , I think item numbers were always there , but those songs were picturized on so called vamps. Cuckoo & Helen were our item queens of 50s and 60s. Then came Aruna Irani ,Padma Khanna , Bindu and Jayshree T. ..... .

These songs were mostly shown as a stage performances or as  cabarets in hotels , sometimes also as banjara songs. The music was peppy & toe tapping ,contributing to the success of such films. R.D.Burman was a prominent name in such  songs. But I think the trend was started by O.P.Nayyar and Laxmikant Pyarelal in 50s and 60s.

Note : This is not a scholarly ,well researched article ...This is written purely out of my love and fondness of hindi film music !


Here are a few of my favourites -





1. Dilbar dil se pyare - ( Caravan , R.D.Burman ) - Included as  this is my personal favourite and also as a representative of Banjara songs ,a subtype of Item number.

2. Aa jane ja ( Inteqaam , Laxmikant Pyarelal ) - Included here because , this is supposedly the only so called Cabaret song sung by Lata Mangeshkar. ( But I remember now ,Dil se milake dil pyar kijiye from the movie Taxi driver (1954).... is probably in a similar category ! )






3. Piya tu ab to ( Caravan , R.D. Burman ) - Love this song...love how Panchamda has utilised the asthmatic ,breathing sounds ( wink , wink !...don't know what else to call them !!) in a melodious way !

Another note : I am not including the latest ones...'beedi jalaile ' and all...they are anyway very well known...

So,what are your favourite 'Item oldies'?


4 comments:

  1. Maya, I love this post! I share your liking for Hindi film music :) I confess I love beedi jalaile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written as usual. You have great liking and knowledge towards old
    songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written as usual. You have great liking and knowledge towards old
    songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, very nicely described the term item number ... really these songs are non require yet integral part of bollywood films ...

    ReplyDelete