Tuesday, December 27, 2016

TBR or not TBR...

A moment of weakness , a delusion about my abilities to digest serious reading , a confusion about what I ought to read and what I want to read ….these factors are the root cause of my not too appealing TBR( To be read ) list this week.

What happened was ,I was reading a marathi book called ‘Boardroom ‘ This is about evolution of management principles over the years and not at all boring as I made it sound.It has many interesting stories about world’s large and famous companies, their founders and the journey of the companies. It is written by Achyut Godbole and his nephew Atul Kahate.

Yes,I am coming to the point of my TBR list…. don’t go away…

In the introduction of this book , Kahate praises Bertrand Russell’s ‘In praise of Idleness’ as one of the best books of essays. That made me curious ,and I thought I could handle B.R. after several years of serious reading …( and yes, M ,my dear friend is also reading it !) Since yesterday that book is sitting on my side table,looking haughtily and pityingly  at me …. Today , finally….I managed to….hmmm….. hide it under a pile of my more frivolous fiction books. It will stay there till my next visit to the library….

For the second book , a fellow blogger is to blame...had he not praised ‘The summing up’ as a book to be read by every wannabe writer, I wouldn't have brought it home. I even ignored the memory of a failed attempt to read this book around 5 years back.

Anyway , tomorrow is a new day ! I will go and exchange these !

Post script : I managed to read a few pages of both these books : probably reproachful looks by them(the books) did the trick....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment