Tuesday, October 27, 2015

ये नीर कहांसे बरसे है...




Jaidev is my favourite composer . So , when I thought of writing about music , his compositions were the ones which popped into my mind . Why this particular composition then ? Apart from being a classical - raag based one ( Tilak -kamod ) ,it is like a breath fresh air - mystic , cool ,mountain air , a sparklingly alive song , with a spiritual undertone....at least I it find so ....

Lyrics are by Padma Sachdev -  a Dogree poetess - although , I must say , my knowledge about her  is based only on what I found on the  internet . ...I am not a reader of Hindi literature .

While growing up , I used to listen to the most famous  song from this film -  " Ye dil aur unki nighahon ke saaye " . I liked that , but now I find that , this song is much much better ....I  am surprised why  I never heard this before ....

The opening piece ....with Lata's humming ....transports you right back to mountains......a cold , fresh morning....and you start humming along with her .....

ये नीर कहांसे बरसे है...
ये बदरी कहांसे आई है .....

I wonder , from which mysterious place ,these clouds and the rain come to us ? What are they trying to say ?

गेहरे गेहरे नाले , गेहरा है पानी रे ,
गेहरे मन की चाह अनजानी रे ,
जग कि भूल भुलैया में ,
कुंज कोई पौराई है ....

Deep are the rivers and ponds , but even deeper is the mind , the mind with its wishes , wants and haunts ....The world is like a maze....No wonder people are getting lost ...so am I , with my mind pulling me in the direction of its whims and fancies ..... But , wait ...do you hear that ? ....That voice .......That is your inner voice...follow that and you will reach your destination....in spite of everything....

चीडो के संग आहे भर ली ,
आग चनारो की मांग में भर ली  ,
बुझ न पाये रे राख में भी ,
जो , ऐसी अगन लगाई है....

Chir and Chinar ...mountain trees ....( again hearsay knowledge ) ....I have been burnt by my wishes ...they have made me cry ...and these mountain trees are there as the witness....Even after I burn completely and turn to ashes...my love , my passion and my wish ...to be with him ...will stay on....they will be forever.... ( Chinar trees have yellow-red leaves in autumn...that is the aag mentioned in the song .)

पंछी पगले कहां घर तेरा रे ,
भूल न जैयो अपना बसेरा रे ,
कोयल भूल गयी जो घर ,
वो लौट के फिर कब आनी है .....

My mind is like a lost bird , that is wandering here and there ....never knowing what is the true destination....A cuckoo once leaves the nest  ( of the parasite host  ) will not go back there ever ....Like us Humans ....when we arrive on this earth , we forget that we are spiritual beings having a human experience and engage in petty worries ....A reminder not to forget who you truly are and your true abode...

Well....got a little carried away in the lyrics ....But Jaidev's music is equally divine ....You are transported to mountains....a stream running by your side...cool , fresh mountain air . pine forests...chirping of birds and ....serenity.....

How I wish I could comment with a great knowledge on this composition  and the instruments used etc ,etc ( I can hear some lovely notes from  flute and santoor , that's all )...But all I can say is , I love the composition , love the variations in the stanzas , love the way Lata has rendered it ....love it from my heart and brain , both !

Luckily or unluckily , no videos of this song are available . So , I am free to picturise it in my mind , exactly the way I want it... I see a girl , walking in a pine forest , and a play of colours ...blue sky and stream ,  yellow red chinar leaves and the girl in green !

Note : I wish to thank Mr .Gulvadi from whose channel I have shared this video .





No comments:

Post a Comment