I finished 'In the woods' today. I absolutely hated it. But I will still recommend it with caution because not everybody would have my reading tastes, somebody may actually like it.
I will not continue this series, in fact I will not read anything by Tana French.
My reasons for hating it...
- First person narrative : I don't like it in literary fiction , fantasy , mystery and even in police procedurals. Exception is Agatha Christie.
- Was it really a police procedural or detective story ? Most of the novel was spent in analysis of detective's feelings.
- I like mysteries as puzzles. Intellectually stimulating. Satisfying when they are solved. This was none of that. I don't want to read about the real legwork, boring paperwork, tons of interviews of witnesses.
- Unreliable narrator , psychopaths : hate both.
- Detective could not separate his personal life from work.
- Failed romance between detective partners which spoiled their relationship. Unnecessary.
- Very slow pace , would have been acceptable if I would have liked the mystery
- Mystery uninteresting, but still disturbing , I can not sleep now. Hence hating it even more.
- Lots of unnecessary, boring stuff regarding road development. ( 🤦 !)
- 2 mysteries,of which one remains unresolved. Feeling cheated. Hate it absolutely.( But thank God, I haven't spent my hard earned money…)
- The narrator detective remains as a solitary depressed and disturbed man in the end.
- The perpetrator goes unpunished. In fact, unblemished and unaccused too. Free to commit more such crimes. Hate that so much that if I had a physical copy, I would have thrown it across the room ! And the perp was not particularly intelligent too, just psychopathic.
- Though this is a series, the only common theme will be the city of Dublin.
- Not formed an attachment to a single character.
- Feel absolutely stupid for spending so much time reading it.